Re: [css2.1] :first-line behvior

Brad Kemper wrote:
> Would you see anything wrong with allowing those selectors if the note
> about which properties are applicable was extended slightly to say that
> these were also the properties that could be used in the
> pseudo-element's descendant selectors?

Wouldn't it require performing layout to determine the set of matching style
rules?  With said style rules being able to affect layout.  Yes, they can do
that even if you restrict to the "allowed" properties.

http://ln.hixie.ch/?count=1&start=1070385285 sort of talks about a similar problem.

Right now, with ::first-line as it stands the list of rules applying to a node
is fixed but its parent for inheritance purposes might change due to layout
changes.  This is a little easier to deal with than what you're proposing.

I'm also not sure what you propose for this situation:

div { color: black; }
div::first-line span { color: yellow; }

What is the list of rules matching the span node?  If this concept no longer
exists (which is what you're proposing), which exact suggestions are you
proposing to the CSS processing model to make it actually defined?  Which text
is yellow?

-Boris

P.S.  Some of these issues do exist with ::first-line as it stands.  I should
point out that in CSS2.1 ::first-line is not defined clearly enough to implement
interoperably.  Last I had checked, the working group had admitted that it
couldn't figure out how to specify it so that it made sense but wasn't willing
to remove it because "it's too useful", thus pushing the problem of what the
heck to do with this abortion onto the UAs.