Re: [CSS3] ltr and rtl pseudo-class proposal

On 17/03/2008, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com> wrote:
> Yes you are correct but I really miss the point why there is such a pseudo class as :lang in the first place since it's does nothing once the style sheet is disabled. I believe that [lang="val"] is much more suited and the semantic meaning is always in the source (accessible).
>

>  [lang="fr"] {..}

>  [lang|="fr"] {..}

No, :lang and [lang="fr"] are very different things. To give you a
more concrete example (the kind of things I run into every day),
consider

A [lang="en"] rule would not even match the CITE element. If such
matching is important (e.g., for proper display of English in a
Chinese page), the results are disastrous.

Because :lang did not work when I set up my sites, I have lots of
rules in the form of [lang=foo] * or even [lang=foo] * * so that
things can be more-or-less properly styled. It is a complete
nightmare.
--
cheers,
-ambrose

Yahoo and Gmail must die. Yes, I use them, but they still must die.
PS: Don't trust everything you read in Wikipedia. (Very Important)