List item and marker box layout - Scroll behaviour

From: Sushanth Rajasankar <Sushanth.Rajasankar@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:11:26 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
When a list-style-position is set to outside and the list element has scroll bars on it, should it still display the marker outside ?

body
{
                padding:50px;
}
#idLI
{
                display:list-item;
                list-style-position:outside;
                height:5em;
                overflow: scroll;
}
                                Line 1 <br>
                                Line 2 <br>
                                Line 3 <br>
                                Line 4 <br>
                                Line 5 <br>
                                Line 6 <br>

[cid:image001.png@01C88774.5369AE10]

I believe that it should, because the spec does not make any exceptions about scroll behavior and

9. Markers: The ::marker pseudo-element<http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-lists/#markers>

"The marker box will be vertically aligned with the first line of content in the principal box,"

states that I should align with the first line. I would expect that the marker is aligned with the first line as if the
principle box is in its un-scrolled state.

However I don't see this behavior in any other browser, am I missing something ?

Thanks,

Sushanth.

image001.png
(image/png attachment: image001.png)