Re: [CSSWG] Resolutions 2008-03-04 and 2008-03-11

From: Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:43:28 -0700

On Mar 11, 2008, at 9:49 AM, fantasai wrote:

>   RESOLVED: White space is allowed in functional pseudos just after (
>   and just before ). Preliminary conclusion on whitespace inside 2n+1
>   is no white space allowed; this may be modified if feedback from web
>   designers indicates it will be a usability problem. (Daniel Glazman
>   will follow up.)

As a Web Designer, i can live with it. I would have preferred to be
able to put space on either or both sides of the plus sign (as in
JavaScript statements, for instance), especially to the left (so that
" +1" reads as a positive number and " -1" reads as a negative
number, which also may help in explaining the feature). Conceptually,
I group the parts in my head as (2n + 1), or (2n +1), as with a math
equation.

But I can get by with no white space. I personally wouldn't expect
there to ever be space between the "2" and the "n". And I almost
never write parentheses with spaces immediately inside them, not in
English, math, or JavaScript (unless I have a lot of nested
parentheses, where the spaces provide clarity).