Re: [your feeback needed] :nth-child() argument

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 20:04:47 +0100
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com

> We then propose to restrict whitespaces in the nth-child()'s argument
> to ONLY after the '(' and before the ')'. Since this is not the common
> practice in CSS - whitespace is usually allowed everywhere - we would
> like the web designers community to let us know if they think it's an
> acceptable compromise or if you think for instance that web authors
> will make a lot of mistakes putting invalid whitespaces inside the
> expression.

This looks like an acceptable solution since a) it does not affect all “:nth-child()” use cases (like “tr:nth-child(odd)”) and b) will be less of a problem anyway assuming that less experienced web developers will be less likely to use this pseudo-class at all.

(Hapless inconsistency though.)

--
Jens Meiert
http://meiert.com/en/