Re: [cssom-view] small update

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 13:59:53 +0100, Robert O'Callahan
<robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> A few comments...
> For SVG elements, which don't really have border-boxes, our
> implementation
> of getClientRects returns a single rect which is the bounding-box of the
> SVG
> element.

Is "the bounding-box" for SVG the same as what SVGLocatable.getBBox
returns on the element? Since those bboxes are in user-space coordinates
it should be noted that they may not be aligned with the screen coordinate
system. Or do you mean SVGLocatable.getScreenBBox (from SVGT12), which is
aligned with the screen coordinate system?

Or do you mean that if one calls getClientRects on any SVG element you get
back the rootmost <svg> element clientrect? And if an svg element is not
inside an <svg> fragment what do you get? And in case there's an <svg>
inside an <svg> and a you query a child of the innermost <svg> element, do
you get the nearest or the rootmost <svg> element clientrect?

> In our implementation, if an element is a descendant of an SVG
> foreignObject, we treat the nearest enclosing foreignObject as
> establishing
> the viewport for the element for the purposes of getClientRects and
> getBoundingClientRect. It doesn't seem to make sense to use the true
> viewport in the presence of possible SVG transformations.

That seems sensible.

Cheers
/Erik

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group