Re: [CSS21] white-space default on :before and :after (was Re: Microsoft contributing test cases to the CSS WG)

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 00:02:25 -0800
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Friday 2008-03-07 08:33 +0100, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> >If we actually want this behavior, it should be stated normatively
> >(and then the tests would be correct).  If we don't, we should
> >probably take out the examples.
>
> Considering the confusion this has caused over the years, I do not think
> simply taking the examples out would help to avoid further uncertainty,
> we would simply trade one for the other.

I don't see why you think that.  As I described in
http://www.w3.org/mid/20080306062701.GA25387@ridley.dbaron.org there
only seems to be one implementation that treats \a as causing
line-breaks with default values for 'white-space', and that's Opera.
The uncertainty is coming from the examples in the spec that
disagree with its normative text.  If we remove those, it'll be
largely gone.  And given that a majority of shipping implementations
of generated content agree with the normative text in the spec, I
think we should have a pretty strong bias towards keeping the
normative spec as-is.

-David