[CSS21] [css3-text] Text decoration behavior

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 12:42:37 -0800
To: "Paul Nelson (ATC)" <paulnel@winse.microsoft.com>
CC: Steve Zilles <szilles@adobe.com>, www-style@w3.org

CCing www-style...

Paul Nelson (ATC) wrote:
> Spec is ambiguous
>
> In determining the position of and thickness of text decoration lines,
> user agents may consider the font sizes of and dominant baselines of
> descendants, but must use the same baseline and thickness on each line.
>
> "on each line" - of text, each element?

Append "for a given element" right before the first comma. The term
"line" at the end of the sentence refers to "line" in the "line box"
sense, not in the text decoration sense. I.e. all text decoration
lines in line box L that are generated by the 'text-decoration' value
on element E must be drawn with the same color, thickness, and position
with respect to element E's primary baseline.

It's possible "on each line" should be "throughout each line" so that
it's clear averaging can take place on a per-line basis. If not, we may
need to clarify that it can't. I'd check with Michel Suignard if you can.

~fantasai