Re: When is a first letter not a :first-letter?

From: Ambrose Li <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:48:13 -0400
To: "Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd)" <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk>
Cc: "David Walbert" <dwalbert@learnnc.org>, www-style@w3.org

2008/6/30 Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk>:
> There is also the rule that numbers less than ten
> should always be spelled out, so /if/ one were to
> treat digits as letters for the purposes of "first-letter",
> one would (in documents where this rule is observed)
> be affording special treatment to the first of a sequence
> of digits rather than the first and only digit ...

But this is an English rule. In Chinese we don't have
such a rule..

(As to what constitutes a letter in Chinese...)
--
cheers,
-ambrose

The 'net used to be run by smart people; now many sites are run by
idiots. So SAD... (Sites that do spam filtering on mails sent to the
abuse contact need to be cut off the net...)