Re: When is a first letter not a :first-letter?

From: Ambrose Li <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:17:55 -0400
To: "David Walbert" <dwalbert@learnnc.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

2008/6/30 David Walbert <dwalbert@learnnc.org>:
> At the same time, I wonder about initial punctuation. If I want a drop cap
> at the top of a page, but the first sentence starts with a quotation,
> traditional practice is to remove the initial quotation mark. If I don't
> remove the punctuation the drop cap would look silly, but I leave it in and
> CSS does not consider punctuation a "first-letter", then presumably there's
> no drop cap

I distinctly remember I saw somewhere that setting the punctuation
alongside the drop cap is (no longer considered ab)normal nowadays.
But I don't remember where I saw it. Maybe I could try to locate the
reference.

--
cheers,
-ambrose

The 'net used to be run by smart people; now many sites are run by
idiots. So SAD... (Sites that do spam filtering on mails sent to the
abuse contact need to be cut off the net...)