Re: WebKit now supports CSS Variables

From: Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 23:14:25 -0700
Cc: "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com>, "Daniel Glazman" <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, "David Hyatt" <hyatt@apple.com>, "\"Håkon Wium Lie\"" <howcome@opera.com>, "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Simetrical <simetrical@gmail.com>

On Jun 29, 2008, at 1:14 PM, Simetrical wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>> To my mind this allows more flexibility. You can continue to have
>> additional
>> style sheets overriding each other, when it is most useful to do it
>> that way,
>> but you can also have some global constants declared up front that
>> are
>> guaranteed to remain exactly as you declared them there, regardless
>> of
>> additional rules.
>
> How is this useful, assuming that subsequent stylesheets are
> maintained by increasingly more specific people?

The most obvious example I can think of would be corporate colors. At
the top of the style sheet, you have something that says that the
corporate blue color is #006. Now, nobody has to use that color in the
subsequent style sheets, but if they do, it will always be #006.

@const {
	acmeBlue: #006;
	acmeGold: #f90;
}