Re: When is a first letter not a :first-letter?

From: Ambrose Li <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 00:14:30 -0400
To: "Brad Kemper" <brkemper@comcast.net>
Cc: "Simon Montagu" <smontagu@smontagu.org>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style@w3.org

2008/6/29 Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>:
> Conceptually, neither is a number. Why would you allow a number to be a
> "first letter", but not punctuation? It seems like a rather arbitrary
> decision.

Yes. My first year CS prof would say exactly the same thing. No
matter how well we back up our arguments, it's still fundamentally
an arbitrary decision either way.

But I would tend to think that normal typographic practice would
more likely treat a number as the same class as a letter but not
punctuation.

I feel "what constitutes a first-letter if the first sentence is in Arabic"
(with all the letters connected together) is probably more of a
problem. But I don't speak Arabic and the Arabic typographers
probably already know the answer.
--
cheers,
-ambrose

The 'net used to be run by smart people; now many sites are run by
idiots. So SAD... (Sites that do spam filtering on mails sent to the
abuse contact need to be cut off the net...)