Re: [CSS21] Addition of 2 values to the visibility property

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:55:20 -0500
To: "Brad Kemper" <brkemper@comcast.net>
Cc: Simetrical <simetrical@gmail.com>, "Zachary Weinberg" <zweinberg@mozilla.com>, www-style@w3.org
On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2008, at 6:16 AM, Simetrical wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> You could have a property on the text box like this:
>>>
>>> { text-replaced-by: image; }
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> { text-replaced-by: svg }
>>>

>> This is exactly what the content property does in CSS3.
>>

> Yes, well, except that if I insert an image with 'content: url(header.png),
> contents;', then it would be a foreground image and I would not be able to
> crop it with a height or width based on ems or percentage, right? So a
> little less flexible for flexible layouts. Or if I had other foreground
> elements to go inside the element (besides the replaced content), wouldn't
> they be pushed aside by the foreground image?

Well, the clip: property allows you to set it in px or em, or you could
always use the simple expedient of setting the height/width and using
overflow:hidden.

Do you often use elements other than text in your replaced elements?  The
common use case seems to be replacing the content of a link, where you're
just removing some text and putting in an image instead.

~TJ