Re: [CSS21] Addition of 2 values to the visibility property

Simetrical escribió:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Damian Vila <damianvila@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> CSS2 > Visual effects > Visibility
>>
>> Rationale: Right now one of the most common methods to replace text with and
>> image in an accessible way is to put the image as a background and indent
>> the text, as proposed by Mark Rundel of Phark
>> (http://phark.typepad.com/phark/2003/08/accessible_imag.html)
>> The idea behind this is to only show the background of the box while hiding
>> the foreground.
>>
>> The proposal is the addition of two new values to the visibility property in
>> CSS: foreground and background.
>>

> There seem to be quite straightforward ways to do this already with
> other, well-established proposals.  The content property in CSS3
> should do a perfect job:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-css3-content-20030514/#content
>
> "content: inhibit" or 'content: ""' should serve just as well as your
> "visibility: background".  "visibility: foreground" appears equivalent
> simply to "background: none", possible in any browser that supports a
> CSS background in the first place.
>
> These solutions seem more intuitive to me, as well (but then, the
> visibility property always seemed a little odd to me, somehow).

Well, I'm not really up-to-date with the work being done in CSS3, that's
why I put the [CSS21] on the subject.

It's true that the same (apparent) thing to 'visibility:foreground' can
be made with 'background:none', but they are conceptually different. For
example, it's not the same to load a page and have one element with
'backgound:none' than to load a page and have that same element with a
background but the visibility set to 'foreground' (invisible
background). In the first case you don't have a background at all, while
on the second you just can't see the background (but effectively, it is
there.) This could be used also to 'preload' backgrounds, for example.

Damian