Re: [CSS 2.1] static position of an absolutely positioned element with auto-offsets

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> fantasai wrote:
>  >   # if its 'position' property had been 'static' and 'float' had been
> 'none'
>
> Oh, that mentions 'float' now?  It didn't use to, iirc.

Changed Jun 2005, according to CVS. Not sure when it was published.

> Honestly, the current wording looks fine to me (and pretty much
> equivalent to the proposed changed version, as far as I see).

Well, there was a request for clarification.

On the telecon yesterday David Baron suggested adding a more explicit
note about the display recomputation:

   dbaron: might want to add a parenthetical to make it more clear
   <fantasai> Add something like: (This may require a hypothetical
              recomputation of the 'display' property.)  ?
   dbaron: not sure I'd put it that way
   <dbaron> Something more like: (Note that the rules in section 9.7
            mean that a different specified value of 'position' or
            'float' can result in a different value for 'display',
            which means this hypothetical calculation may need to
            presume a different value for 'display'.)

I'd prefer something shorter than that, though, to avoid making this
section hard to read. Maybe

   | (Note that due to the rules in section 9.7 this might require also
   | assuming a different computed value for 'display'.)

if that's acceptable.

So the full proposal would be

In
    # a hypothetical box that would have been the first box of the element
    # if its 'position' property had been 'static' and 'float' had been 'none'.
replace
    # if its 'position' property had been 'static' and 'float' had been 'none'.
with
    | if its specified 'position' value had been 'static' and its specified
    | 'float' had been 'none'. (Note that due to the rules in section 9.7
    | this might require also assuming a different computed value for
    | 'display'.)
in both
    10.3.7 - http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#abs-non-replaced-width
and