RE: Publishing the flexible box model

Hi David,

Excuse me if this suggestion doesn't make sense, or has already been
discussed. Anyway, reading the flexbox spec showed me a remarkable
resemblence with some work I did back in the '90s when implementing
custom layout managers in X-Windows (Xt Intrinsics) :-)

One thing that the users of these layout widgets found quite useful
was the ability to say that certain laid-out child widgets should
have the same size, typical example being buttons (Ok/Cancel/Apply)
getting the same width. The algorithm would base it on the preferred
widths (for orientation=horizontal) of the children and use the
largest one for all.

We exposed the functionality with these properties ("constraints") on
the children:
  sizeGroup: default -1
    all children with a sizeGroup >=0 would form a size group with
    other children with the same number and establish a common size
  sizeGroupFactor: default 1.0
    factor multiplied with the established size for the group to
    get the resulting size for this child (f ex makes it possible
    to say that one child should be twice as big as the other in
    the same group)

Best regards
Mike Wilson