Re: [CSS 2.1] static position of an absolutely positioned element with auto-offsets

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> fantasai wrote:
>> My take from that bug is that both 'position' and 'float' are ignored
>> (set to 'static' and 'none' respectively) when finding the static
>> position.
>> Is that correct?
>
> In Gecko, yes.  Other UAs' behavior seems to match that.

So if that's true and the hypothetical position is calculated after first
recomputing 'display' with those assumed values, the following edits:

Replace
   # if its 'position' property had been 'static' and 'float' had been 'none'
with
   | if its specified 'position' value had been 'static' and its specified
   | 'float' had been 'none'
in both
   10.3.7 - http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#abs-non-replaced-width
and
   10.6.4 - http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#abs-non-replaced-height
.

should clarify this since replacing values at the specified value stage
would require recomputation of 'display'. It also avoids saying anything
about reading the specified value of 'display' and so avoids any issues
with 'initial' or 'inherit' keywords.

Does that look correct or am I missing something?

~fantasai