Re: [css3-multicol] minimizing scroll complexity of multiple multi-column blocks

Myk Melez wrote:

> fantasai wrote:
>> Nesting is more how you'd implement it: you need all the controls you
>> have
>> for horizontal columns to do this "rows" idea. You want control over the
>> gap and rules and the "column width" (row height). You don't want to
>> control
>> the height of these rows with the 'height' property: that would end the
>> element and cause the next row to overflow the box (overlapping
>> subsequent
>> content, etc).
> Nesting is fine with me if it accomplishes the goal.  I'm just looking
> for a way to make columns more useful.  How complicated would it be to
> extend the current implementation to support this functionality?

For Mozilla? Not too hard I think, given that we already do something
like that for pagination. Defining the necessary controls could get
complicated syntax and spec-wise. I wouldn't consider it a priority
item either for the CSSWG or for Mozilla, however. CSS2.1 and CSS3
Backgrounds and Borders support are more important imho. Also we have
enough bugs in the Gecko multicol code as it is. :)

~fantasai