Re: Advanced font features and related text features in CSS levels 3 and 4 [css3-fonts] [CSS3 Text] [css3-text-layout] [css4-fonts] [css4-text] [css4-text-layout]

From: Dave Crossland <dave@lab6.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:03:34 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

2008/6/10 John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>:

> supported via new font properties as you propose or a
> mechanism that ties the properties to a given font (maybe
> via new @font-face syntax?).  Considering how these are
> applied in OpenType, AAT and Flash 10 all make interesting examples.

Yes, I think I would want to be able to specify "font-numeral-case:
old-style" for an @font-face font but "font-numeral-case: lining" for
the fallbacks.

But something like Etan's suggestions are needed.

I think the most important thing is that it isn't font-format
specific: although today OpenType is very popular, Graphite has
important features not available anywhere else, and new formats will
certainly appear.

--
Regards,
Dave