Re: CSS WG weekly meeting minutes 2008-06-04

Gao, Ming (ICS Industry Alliance, San Diego) wrote:
> Meeting: Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) Working Group Weekly Teleconference
>
> Date: June 4, 2008
> Time: 09:06am to 10:00am PDT

> issue #4
> --------
> daniel: next, positioning from corners
> fantasai: the current approach might be a bit awkward.
> .... an alternative approach would require a different syntax.
>
> <fantasai> background-postion: 10px 20px;
> fantasai: designer tend to prefer to do this positioning from bottom right.
> <fantasai> background-position: bottom 10px right 20px;
> fantasai: my proposal is to use keyword and distance
> .... from the edge of the element
>
> daniel/fantasai: would like to hear what authors want to say
> jason: never really have a case to do it from left or right;
> .... could be because I can't do it in the past
>
> <fantasai> fantasai: question is whether to create a syntax for this, or to wait
> for calc()
> fantasai: people really want to do from bottom right
> jason: agree; what is the syntax to write it from right to left?
>
> fantasai: I am posting some notes to show the syntax
> <fantasai> background-position: bottom 10px right 20px;
> <fantasai> background-position: start 10px center;
>
> jason: just looking at these syntax, it is hard to understand (what they do, from  authors' point of view);
> .... maybe easy for computer to understand
>
> peter: Q: do you mean 10 px from righ edge of the box ?
>
> fantasaI: could be right edge from the right edge(?)

I propose to add following attributes:

background-position-left
background-position-top
background-position-right
background-position-bottom

so existing 'background-position' will be just a shortcut form of defining
'background-position-left' and 'background-position-top'

If both background-position-left and background-position-right are defined
for background-repeat:no-repeat images background-position-right wins.
Same rule for background-position-top/bottom.

For background-repeat:stretch (do not remember exact value) images
background-position-left/top/right/bottom define correspondent offsets
from padding edge.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com