  • From: Adam Kuehn <akuehn@nc.rr.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 13:14:00 -0400
  • Subject: RE: [css3-color] RGBA Hex Notation
  • To: "'L. David Baron'" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, "'Mikko Rantalainen'" <mira@st.jyu.fi>, "'W. Leon Sutton, Jr.'" <wsuttonjr@hyponiqs.com>, "'fantasai'" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
  • Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

Personally, I think this is a mistake.

First, it isn't really the addition of a full-blown "feature".  RGBA is
already the specified feature.  This suggestion adds only a notational
convention to access the feature.

Second, the reason for making the addition is clear: By far the most popular
notational form for color in use on actual web pages at present is
hexadecimal.  You will get much broader user acceptance of the spec if you
support a reasonable extension of this format for RGBA.  I would suggest
that a hex notation format for RGBA at least be specified, even if it is
indicated as optional for implementers.  At least that would standardize the
target notation for future use.

Finally, implementation of a hex notation, whatever the agreed format,
should be completely trivial.  Parsers are just not that hard to write when
the input format is clearly specified and inflexible.  The code for
producing the actual color is already there for use, as you just explained
("current feature set...is...widely implemented").

Personally, I would use #XXX-A and #XXXXXX-A for the format, but it doesn't
really matter as long as it is reasonable to users and is standardized.  A
little work now can make a difficult spec just that much easier for web
developers to internalize.

Respectfully submitted,

-Adam Kuehn

> On Thursday 2004-09-09 21:17 -0400, W. Leon Sutton, Jr. wrote (in
> response to the previous quoted message):
> > Yes, the RGB-A color format would be a great addition.
> There are many uses
> > for such that I can think of.
>
> On Friday 2004-09-10 10:39 -0400, Adam Kuehn wrote (in response to
> the previous quoted message):
> > Let's be clear that rgba color *format* is already in the
> CSS 3 Color
> > Module CR draft.  The current draft includes rgba (xxx, xxx, xxx,
> > <alpha>) and rgba (xxx%,xxx%, xxx%, <alpha>) as the only
> two available
> > notational forms to express that color format.  My
> suggestion is to add a
> > hex notation form to those already proposed. E.g. color:
> #xxx<alpha> and
> > color: #xxxxxx<alpha> - either with or without a delimiter
> before the
> > <alpha> portion.  The reason for the suggestion is to
> preserve the most
> > common color notation format presently in use in CSS when
> used for alpha
> > colors.  In my view, it is worth the effort to make the use of the
> > property as easy for current and future authors as possible.
>
> --
> L. David Baron                                 http://dbaron.org/
> Mozilla Corporation                       http://www.mozilla.com/

Forwarded message 2