CSS Selector Complexity : Working draft document

From: Francois Remy <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:47:36 +0200
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, "CSS 3 W3C Group" <www-style@w3.org>
Here's a non-normative document that can be used in the WG as base for finding the complexity of a selector.

I'm working on this document for a week only, so it can contains errors, but I think is quite accurate and realist.

My English is not perfect, too. So the spelling and grammar might be to revalidate.

Currently, two types of complexity are taken in count:

- Loop Complexity (or static complexity: time needed to find matching elements at load time)

- Update Complexity (number of times the matched elements can be reevaluated * time it need)

==> Are you seeing another type of complexity easily calculable?

Some numbers were "arbitrary" selected, but I followed the impressions that I have as web developer on

how a document is generally made and edited dynamically on the web.

Any remark and (constructive) criticism is greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Fremy

    PS :

    * This document is not a "true" CSS 3 Module since it doesn't need to be implemented by the UA but it gives

    a good base for evaluating the possibilities of introducing a new selector or not to CSS, and it provides some

    information to web developers on how selectors are evaluated by the UA.

    * I voluntary excluded the optimizations that can be done by the UA because they are probably not the same

    on each browser, except a few one that I know universal (ID indexer, ...).

    * Numbers we can found using this document are not "absolute" result. They are only here to give an idea of

    how complex is a selector, but there's no absolute unit.

        Fremy :: Developpement Web (JavaScript + ASP.Net; XHTML; CSS2)
      Les Forums Developpez.com
      Le site Codes-Sources.com

GreenGradient_2.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: GreenGradient_2.jpg)