Re: [CSS Variables] WebKit now supports variable declaration blocks

On Jul 30, 2008, at 2:14 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2008, at 11:33 AM, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:
>

>> Why can't the core syntax change?  All browsers seem to error
>> recover fine.
>>
>> dave

>>> Allowing such syntax would require changing the core syntax that
>>> is not
>>> supposed to change, you cannot use '(' before the colon and you
>>> have to
>>> have a colon there.
>>> --
>>> Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern@hoehrmann.de · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
>
> I don't have a problem with a change to the core syntax, if it is a
> change that makes sense. But if it does matter, we could go with
> something more conforming, like this:
>
> div {
>   background-color: blue;
>   var-group: $complex-variable;
>   color:white;
> }
>
> Not sure we need the dollar sign there any more though with that.

That is in fact how WebKit implements this under the hood (using a
synthetic property).

I still favor the property/value syntax, since it enables manipulation
through the CSS OM of the insertion points.  Others expressed concerns
over using that syntax though.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)