Re: Parent Combinator / Parent pseudo-class

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:55:05 -0500
To: "Francois Remy" <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Cc: "Brad Kemper" <brkemper@comcast.net>, "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com>, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
If the full :matches pseudoclass is indeed currently too difficult to
implement with sufficient perfomance (and I'm relatively convinced, though
I'm not at all knowledgeable of how the matching engine works in specific),
I suggest that we still look at a limited form of :matches.

In the absolute limit, have it accept a simple selector preceded by either >
or +, so that you can match against children and the following sibling.
Preferably, have it accept all combinators (including none, for full
descendant matching) as well (currently, this means just accepting ~ and
none).  This would address a large majority of use-cases for this feature,
without hitting the full complexity of allowing an arbitrary selector in the

As a minor side-benefit, this would also be forwards-compatible with a full
implementation of :matches, as a later revision would merely have to remove
the requirement that the selector be simple.

Would this proposal (either the minimum or preferred one) be all right for