Re: Parent Combinator / Parent pseudo-class

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 01:05:49 +1000
To: Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>
CC: w3mail@jixor.com, www-style@w3.org

Brad Kemper wrote:
[...]
>> A parent combinator pseudo-class or parent pseudo-class requires a CSS
>> parser to walk the chain.
>
> Only of immediate children, not of all descendants of a particular
> has-child selector. Anyone using it more than sparingly should expect
> some performance degradation.

But what Stephen is`suggesting is firstly to walk the chain backwards to
the parent element and then secondly match each particular parent child
combinator. If my understanding is correct, that is a double
performances hit.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power - Abraham Lincoln