Re: overflow and list-items

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 20:33:18 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Arron Eicholz <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Apr 2008, Arron Eicholz wrote:
>> When a 'li' element or any element set to 'display: list-item' has a
>> setting for 'overflow' other than 'visible' what should happen to the
>> marker box when it is set to 'list-style-position: outside'?
>
> Assuming that it falls outside the overflow box, it should disappear. The
> marker is part of the (first) line box of the list-item box. It should act
> exactly like any inline element on that line, just rendered flush with the
> start of the line box.

It depends on what you consider as "marker".

While ago we discussed that something like

list-style-type: tree-line;

would be nice to have. Example:
http://www.terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/images/tree-view-lines.png

Marker here is a line connecting items with "root" of the list.

In principle marker denotes that item belongs to some list/collection -
so conceptually it is part of list too.

If to look on the marker from this angle then it appears as something
to be drawn together with border/background rather on content layer.

And there are other pretty interesting values available for
list-style-type so I would keep list markers as aside entities of items.

> I wrote some prose on how this is supposed to work back in the 2002
> timeframe:
>
>    http://www.w3.org/Style/Group/css3-src/css3-lists/#markers

That is for members only, btw.

--