Re: Parent Combinator / Parent pseudo-class

From: <leslie.brown@evidian.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:20:08 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
>> For a long time I have hoped for such a thing and still in the css3
draft there doesn't appear to be any such function.
>> My concept is that it should be possible to target an element with
specific children. This would be useful for situations such as:
>> a:hover < li to target an li element with an a child that has :hover

Another feature that doesn't seem to be under consideration is a way to
target the first rather than the second of two adjacent siblings
(analogous to the + combinator but backwards).

The simplest situation I can think of where this would be useful is to
remove or adjust vertical spacing when a paragraph is followed by a list.

If vertical spacing is expressed via margin-top I can write:
p + ul {margin-top: 0}

But what if I want to use margin-bottom instead or as well? I'd like to be
able to specify something like:

p:followed-by li {margin-bottom: 0}

or

p  ul {margin-bottom: 0}

where the proposed combinator between the p and the ul is the division
sign (U+00F7).

Les Brown