Re: overflow inside table cell

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 2:07 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> Onivis Yhonay d'Izeworudi wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure if I'm posting to right list so excuse me
>> if I'm not and point me to right one.
>>
>> What is a correct way to render block element with
>> 'overflow: scroll' (with very long content like img
>> bigger than browser window or unwrappable text) if
>> that block is inside table cell?
>>
>> Some examples:
>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=294513
>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=319280
>>
>> Some browsers like Opera and Firefox 2 (and most of
>> browsers based on it's engine) make such a block
>> scrollable while IE, Safari (and those based on WebKit)
>> and Firefox 3 extends such a table, and adds scrollbar
>> to whole page.
>
> Hi,
> The correct list for spec questions is www-style@w3.org.
> As for your question, if the table is "table-layout: auto;"
> then the behavior isn't really defined in the CSS specs.
> For "table-layout: fixed" the table cells should not
> stretch, and therefore neither should the <div>s.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#fixed-table-layout
>
> ~fantasai

Can't really say, but it looks like a scrollbar without stretching the
table is more useful to the end user.
However, neither FF2 or Safari 3.1.2 seem to do exactly what you said
(both are more annoying)
Safari makes the whole thing the width of about 10 pages and only puts
a scrollbar on the middle one. (Extends first and third to end of
content)
FF2 keeps the right cell width, but neglects to put a scrollbar on the
third cell (clipping the content, though you can still select it
blindly)

Cheers!
~ Marshal Horn
http://sotabot.com webmaster since May 6th, 2008