Re: "maybe even in the fact that you use words as all," (sic)

From: Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:17:54 -0700
Cc: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>

On Jul 17, 2008, at 8:00 AM, Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:

> Did you accidentally omit the <sneer> tags, Brad ?
> Philip TAYLOR

I'm just a proponent of increasing literacy, not decreasing it. I
think it is absurd to suggest that we reduce all written communication
to what the illiterate can understand, and I don't think trying to
talk with pictures does that anyway. They are still visual a written
language of sorts, but just one that is not standardized, much more
ambiguous, and less rich in meaning. I think that if you like to write
in pictograms, you would have much more communicative effect if you
used simplified Chinese, which derives its symbols from word pictures.
Or if you wanted to use something even more pictographic, you could
advocate for the use of Egyptian hieroglyphics. At least that is
something that is more well developed in vocabulary.

There are good reasons why written communication developed from
pictures into more formalized systems.