Re: Applying SVG properties to non-SVG content

From: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:12:08 +0200
To: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Saturday 12 July 2008 01:08, Doug Schepers wrote:
> Bert Bos wrote (on 7/11/08 2:58 PM):

> > A different problem is how to set the priorities. Compared to all
> > the other work being done in SVG and CSS, how high a priority is
> > this and how many resources are available for it? Should it be done
> > in the next two years (at the cost of what other work?), can it
> > wait a year or two, should it not be done anytime soon, or not be
> > done at all...
>
> Personally, I see this as a high priority.  I think it should be
> started in a timeframe that allows Mozilla, Opera, and Safari to
> include this in upcoming product releases.

I disagree. For me this is low priority.

SVG exists. People can already make a fancy filter or gradient. Whether
it is easier to do in CSS than in SVG and if indeed it is so much
easier that it justifies making CSS more difficult to use and
implement, is a discussion that we can maybe have one day, but there is
no hurry.

There are other things that are not possible yet and for which CSS is
much more clearly the right place: hyphenation, columns, page numbers,
leaders, vertical text, non-rectangular wrap-around, downloadable
fonts, fixed line spacing, drop caps, baseline alignments, etc. If
after all that we still think that CSS isn't big enough, we can discuss
copying some features from SVG to CSS.

Bert