Re: Scoped style sheets.

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:38:54 -0700
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
CC: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> David Woolley wrote:
>> (One thing that concerns me about the whole use case is that it is
>> based on embedding what are really separete resources, for reasons
>> that have to do with ensuring that advertisements are seen, not to do
>> with the natural structure of the information.  However the want to
>> meet commercial constraints is so endemic these days, that I don't
>> think I'd win such an argument amongst implementors.  The real
>> solution would be to make object work!)
>
> Commercial cases like that aren't the only use cases for scoped
> stylesheets.  Consider this use case.
>
> A blog has a normal theme applied to all articles that covers the
> general styling issues quite well.  But then the author publishes an
> article that requires some additional enhancements to be made, but the
> author wants to avoid inadvertently affecting the style of other articles.
>
> Adding more rules to the site's global stylesheet, perhaps scoped by
> some unique article ID isn't really ideal because if it happens
> frequently, it causes the global stylesheet to be filled with lots of
> article specific styles.  In some cases, the article author may not even
> have access to modify the global stylesheet.

That is:

> The solution needs to work in all places where the article is listed,
> including on its individual page or in a monthly archive listing.  The
> scoped stylesheet allows the author associate the set of styles with the
> article.

the whole point.

I have my article that is html fragment. This article is also
accompanied by styles. I want to be able to define styles
that are "rooted" to the article container. Such styles
has to be independent from the position of my article on
different sites.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com