Re: Opera's Proposal for :context Selector

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for your answers, your intention is more clear now but see below...
>
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>

>>  3) If you have scoped style sheet applied to <p id="scope"> in some form
>>> then what would be a result of applying following style sheet:
>>>
>>> /*style set for the p#scope */
>>>  span { color:green; }
>>>  div span { color:red; }
>>>
>>> What would be the color of text FOO?
>>>

>> Assuming I interpret your scoped stylesheet syntax correctly, which
>> differs from the HTML5 syntax, then it would be red.
>>
>> It has to work like that. As a proof of concept, consider this example:

>>  <section>
>>    .foo h1 { color: green; }
>>    .bar h1 { color: blue; }
>>    <h1>Example</h1>
>>  </section>
>>
> What about modularity? Say your <section> with the same content will
> appear in different places of two different documents.
> In this case you will need to write two different style sets.
> Is this the goal? If "yes" then what is the great idea of  <style scoped>?
> That is not a rhetorical question.

>> This allows styles to be changed dynamically by changing the class name on
>> the body element from "foo" to "bar", which would change the heading from
>> green to blue.
>>
> You already can do that. Simply write:
>
>  body.foo h1 { color: green; }
>  body.bar h1 { color: blue; }
>
> and it will work for you already. Why do you need <style scoped> then?

The two work quite a bit differently.  Your selectors will match (and change
the color of) *all* <h1>s in body.foo or body.bar.  The scoped stylesheet
*only* changes those <h1>s that appear within the <style>'s scope.  <h1>s
that appear elsewhere will not be affected, even though they may match a
naive application of the selector.

The same applies to the querySelector, but you already get that (you said
exactly what is meant - that it's a global selector but against a limited
set of elements).  The two are meant to work the same.

> As far as I understand intention is to have:
> and to be able to use that style-system-for-my-component.css in various
> places/pages?
> Modularity implies that declarations in style-system-for-my-component.css
> are
> independent from the position of scope/root element on the page - rooted to
> the element
> this style set is applied to. So you could share your libraries/components.
> Too bad if this is not the intent.

I agree here, though, that *without* a :scope or :context pseudoclass, it
can be difficult to achieve proper modularity.  Frex, in this fragment:

<section>

</section>