Re: Question/Suggestion : min-left, min-right etc...

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2008, at 8:32 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
> Well, when it actually becomes a reality the Template module will be
> exactly what you need.  Using absolute positioning for layout is *still* a
> bit of a hack (though a fairly stable one and imo much less of one than the
> float abuse that often takes place) - Template will let you specify clearly
> that you want two slots, with #logo filling the left one and #banner filling
> the right one, and that you want the left slot to be at least 110px wide.
>

> min-left/right/top/bottom would be much simpler and more obvious, and
> useful for times when you are already using the very familiar positioning
> properties. I've often wished for this, not just for laying out entire
> pages, but for smaller areas that required absolute positioning. It would
> probably also be useful for relative positioning.

I disagree.  It may be somewhat more obvious when you're used to using
absolute positioning for page layout and are wondering specifically how to
keep your image on the right from overlapping your image on the left, but
when CSS Template actually hits a usable stage I think it'll become quite
natural to use for the sort of problem Kevin brought up.  Note that you can
also nest templates, so smaller areas can be laid out just as easily as the
entire page.

Now, while *I* can't think of a use for this that isn't better solved by
Template, that may just be because I think Template is really really cool
and the original question was clearly a page-layout issue, thus tainting my
thinking.  Can you show some examples that illustrate where it would be more
useful/natural than giving the containing block a template and popping
things into slots?

(However, this is also a *ton* simpler to implement than the whole of CSS
Template, which may be a point in its favor, so don't think I'm ruling it
out.  Still please provide any informative examples you can think of.)

~TJ