Re: Additional value for the visibility property

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 16:53:46 -0500
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: robert@ocallahan.org, "Ph. Wittenbergh" <jk7r-obt@asahi-net.or.jp>, W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>

On Jul 9, 2008, at 4:43 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

> David Hyatt wrote:
>> On Jul 9, 2008, at 3:53 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>>

>>> In fact it should be rendered as this:
>>> http://terrainformatica.com/w3/opacity-probe-rendering.png
>>> as opacity is not inherited by default (so div.kid is not
>>> transparent).
>>
>> We cannot change this.  I do not understand why you are just
>> bringing this up now.   The vendor prefixes were dropped from
>> opacity ages ago.  It's done.
> What specification was used for implementing this? That is a point.
> I doubt that any existing designs rely on the fact that opacity
> establishes new stacking context. So you can change this.

opacity is used heavily in OS X, both in Dashboard widgets and in apps
that use WebKit.  It has been deployed for years.   Even if we could
change it, I don't think we should, since I think having opacity
follow the document tree is much more natural than having it follow
the containing block hierarchy.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)