[Selectors] Attribute Selectors with Empty Values

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:42:54 +0200
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

Hi,
   I came across this issue while working on the Selectors API test
suite.  It's not clear from the Selectors spec whether or not these
selectors should match any elements:

[class^=""]
[class$=""]
[class*=""]

Given this element:

It seems that browsers disagree on this issue too.  Opera matches all of
them, Firefox 3 matches both $= and ^=, but not *=, and WebKit matches none.

This selectors test suite [1] actually requires WebKit's behaviour, but
I just can't find where this is defined in the spec.

[1] http://disruptive-innovations.com/zoo/css3tests/selectorTest.html

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/