Re: WebKit now supports CSS Variables

From: Francois Remy <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 11:16:41 +0200
To: "Pierre Saslawsky" <ps@outspring.com>, <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: "David Hyatt" <hyatt@apple.com>

> I think there would be a real use in having a new 'undefined' keyword  as
> legit variable value.

I totaly agree ! But the difficulty is to make "undefined" different from
theses:

selector {
    pBlank: ; /* Consider that the property is not defined (==> initial if
no inherit support, inherit otherly) */
    pAuto: auto; /* Use the 'auto' value if it's possible, use blank if not
*/
    pInherit: inherit; /* Force heritage and use the value of the same
property but for the parent */
    pInitial: initial; /* The default value of this property */
}

What can we expect as behavior for "undefined" ?
> Same as blank ?
> Same as initial ?
> Another behavior ?

We can also define a "default" value of a variable in a déclaration:
var(bgColor|green);
If no |default is provided, the variable value count as "", if not yet/more
defined.
So we don't need "undefined" (we can use blank instead).

But "undefined" can be used as keyword for blank.
Currently, 'pBlank: ;' is invalid, so we can't ask the browser to apply the
"blank" behavior.

Fremy