Re: <br> and generated-content

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 17:19:32 +1000
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
CC: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Daniel Glazman wrote:
> Alan Gresley wrote:
>
>> Boris, why would an author bother floating a <br> element?
>
> Because nothing forbids it ? And because implementors MUST think of all
> the weird cases ?
>
> </Daniel>

Well implementors shouldn't concern themselves with what authors might
do. If an author wants to float a <br>, I say they do that at their own
peril.

That's why I suggested float:none as a default. We already have <head>
display:hidden as a default. Consider the author who foolishly declares.

head {
    display: visible !important;
    position: static !important;
    float: left; !important;