Re: Proposal for adding variable declaration blocks

From: Zachary Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 14:13:29 -0700 (PDT)
To: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>

----- "David Hyatt" <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:
> Here are a couple of ideas for how to extend CSS variables to deal
> with declarations.
> (b) Make up a selector "annotation" notation
>
> h1 includes headers {
>    font-size: 24px;
> }
> I believe (b) is the most elegant notation.

I'm going to have to vote for anything-but-this, because selector syntax is already enough of a mess.  The above is exactly how you would write the selector for

<h1><includes><headers> ... </></></>

in some hypothetical SGML dialect; yes, we could probably think of a keyword unlikely to appear in any such dialect, but I'd really rather have unambiguity.

Of your options I think (a) best (make up a new property).

zw