Re: Proposal: text-vertical-position property

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:51:52 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org

On Wednesday 2008-01-23 21:36 -0800, David Perrell wrote:
> This property specifies the vertical position of text in line boxes within the element.

Do you mean line boxes or inline boxes?  If you mean line boxes,
you'd need to define how this property interacts with
'vertical-align', since they do very similar things.  If you mean
inline boxes (which I *think* you do), I'd think you'd need to
define how it moves the inline box in some cases (for example,
you'd still want the baseline of text baseline-aligned, so you'd
want the inline box to move around the text, rather than the text to
move within the inline box).

That said, what are the use cases for this?  When is it useful?
(Can it be useful in cases where the author doesn't necessarily know
what fonts are going to be used?)

-David