RE: Line layout in browsers

David Perrell wrote:

> ALSO, I'm still curious regarding the logic behind the
> vertical positioning
> of text within line boxes. I set up a series of DIVs with 100px font
> size and >= line heights (http://www.hpaa.com/css2/span.htm) and
> found that text
> is too low relative to the box in both FF and Opera on Win2K. CSS 2.1,
> section 10.8.1 states: "User agents center glyphs vertically
> in an inline box..." That is clearly not the case here.

If you add a bordered span wrapping your text, you will see that this span (which I believe delimits what the spec calls content area) is correctly vertically centered in the inline box. Your glyphs are apparently appear low inside this area, but if you consider that there are characters with a higher ascent that those that you used (like È) then all looks correct (that's your page with these additions http://brunildo.org/test/test/lh_span.html .)

--
Bruno Fassino http://www.brunildo.org/test