Re: Alignment property proposal

L. David Baron wrote:

> CSS already has a way to center blocks, but many authors find it
> (use of 'auto' margins) confusing and/or non-intuitive.

Having two different ways of doing it would also be confusing and would
need the interactions explaining.  In general, such tactics make it more
difficult for people trying to override properties, because they have to
know that they need to override both (although I think that few people
would want to override block centering - although many might want to
override text-align centre).

Is it possible to make the new property simply be a shorthand for margin
auto.  (I guess the main difference between that and what people want
might be that they want something that defaults to inherit.  However, I
think that the real problem with margin auto is that the concept is too
mathematical, rather than the inheritance rules.)

--
David Woolley