Re: Alignment property proposal

Alex Mogilevsky wrote:

> text-align shouldn't be affecting blocks. It should only be affecting inline
> content. If we want a property for aligning blocks, it should be a separate
> property. Aligning the block one way and the inline content another is very
> common.

The fundamental reason for this proposal was to have a property that
behaves like the CENTER element, and therefore does affect both
contexts.  I haven't followed it closely enough, but I'm not sure that
the interaction between it, text-align and auto margins has actually
been specified adequately.

In saying that the two functions must be separate, you are effectively
rejecting the whole proposal.  I don't think that is necessarily bad, as
the proposal was basically furthering the continuance of an element that
was deprecated in favour of using CSS.  What people wanted to do was to
continue to use CENTER elements, but not to have to rely on ad hoc
browser implementation, but, instead, be able to specify it in the
browser style sheet.

If a combined property is introduced, I think it should be introduced
pre-deprecated, because it only exists to support a deprecated HTML feature.

--
David Woolley