Re: Advanced Font Features

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:35:14 +0100
To: "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Also sprach Philip Taylor (Webmaster):

 > > It kind of feels like a shorthand and I'm not sure we want shorthands
 > > within shorthands. So, another option is to have two properties:
 > >
 > >   font-variant-digits-space: monospace | proportional | normal
 > >   font-variant-digits-style: oldstyle | lining | normal
 > >
 > > But I don't really like these property names. Hmm.
 >
 > Isn't "-variant" redundant

"variant" needs to be there if we want to use 'font-variant' as a
shorthand property for these new, individual, properties. I think
think this is a good idea; it makes it possible to to set all values
to their initial values with a simple statement like this:

   font: 12pt "Arno Pro";

 > "-spacing" be better than "-space" ?

Perhaps. I tend to like shorter names.

Cheers,