Re: Advanced Font Features

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:25:49 +0100
To: Philip TAYLOR <Philip-and-LeKhanh@Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org>
Cc: CSS <www-style@w3.org>

Also sprach Philip TAYLOR:

 > > Here are the new properties:
 > >    font-variant-width: normal | proportional
 >
 > Isn't "proportional" the "normal" value for the
 > majority of fonts; I do not understand what this
 > particular pair of values sets out to achieve.

Sorry, one value was missing from the writeup: monospace. The property
should be:

  font-variant-width: normal | proportional | monospace

The main use case for this property is to select between proportional
and monospace digits. Today, Georgia has proportional digits and
Verdana has monospaced digits. More advanced fonts may have both
kinds.

Cheers,

-h&kon