Re: Re[22]: css with attribues [software]

On 18 Jan 2008, at 10:09, Dmitry Turin wrote:

>>>   Otherwise he will must remember, which characteristics
>>> (attributes-properties) spread from particular media to all media,
>>> and which are not.

> DD> Which just underlines the inappropriateness of CSS for your
> proposed
> DD> feature.
>
> Whole appropriateness:

No. As I just explained, while it might do a number of things which
solve various problems with your use case, it also does a number of
things which makes it incompatible with it. Media specific
stylesheets is a prime example.

>>> I.e. create unique class for unique place of site ?
> DD> There are various ways that selectors can be crafted to match
> DD> elements. Classes might come into it.
>
> You can write properties either in tag,
> or in definition of class, isnt't it ?
> What is the third way, about which you are speaking ?

You seem to be confusing a class (or a class selector) with a rule-
set. You might want to reread those parts of the HTML and CSS
specifications.

>>> Strongly disagreed !!
>>> It is look. Even existance of XSL says about my rightness !!
> DD> No, it is content. Possibly not primary content ...
>
>   How many types of content can you separate ??

Quite a few, but any discussion about potentially separating them out
isn't one that is appropriate for www-style.

>   You can accept convention, that any look is content -

No. Content (written in HTML) has an appearance (written in CSS).

> and name each content, which is not content really,
> as 'secondary content'.

Umm. No.

>   E.g. Soviet Union has no unemployment. But western books says,
> that it has unemployment - during time, when man move from one city
> to another city.
>   E.g. You can name healthy man as hidden sick -
> and let he will live hundred years.

Oh please, comparing me to propaganda writers is hardly appropriate.

> DD> I think you might find a lot of authors objecting if you
> DD> remove their credits from published documents while claiming
> that was
> DD> just presentation.
>
> You are substituting question.

You were the one who gave the example in the first place!

> If you will delete signature from header/footnote of each page,
> except last page, then you will save information !!
> but author will claim, because reason of marketing
> (he want, what advertisement would climb into eyes).

So some content is duplicated on multiple pages. That doesn't make it
presentational.

I rather system the OED would disagree with you.

>>> Objection is not suitable, because describe other case -
>>> duplication of element's content _and_ element's attributes
>>> (instead of duplication of attributes only).
> DD> there is very
> DD> little in the way of attributes which are duplicated from page to
> DD> page which are not either (a) presentational or (b) accompanied by
> DD> elements and content.
>
> Agreed.

In that case, don't you accept that your proposal would have
negligible benefit if implemented?

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/