Re: Re[23]: css with attribues [hardware]

On 18 Jan 2008, at 13:22, Dmitry Turin wrote:
>>> entire
>>> Since engine support JS, it is 'trigger' engine, isn't it ?
> DD> Not all user agents support JS
> +
> DD> You would also need to account for how difficult it is to
> implement
>
> UAs, not supporting JS [they are not browsers, not realtime UAs :) ],

Lynx is a browser. Lynx does not support JavaScript.

> should download css before parsing html.

Why? CSS is supposed to be an optional presentation layer. User
agents shouldn't need to download it at all.

>>> Many properties are used extremely seldom;
>>> and many properties, proposed to standardizations,
>>> will be used extremely seldom,
>>> but manufactorer of browsers spend efforts to implement them.
> DD> For example? In my experience, the seldom used features are those
> DD> which browser vendors tend not to implement.
>
> Different items (independently of their nature)
> have different frequency.
> Seldom used properties is only right part of frequency diagram.
> Vendors do not carry responsibility for this nature.

You still haven't provided any examples.

>>> Proposal withdraw possibilities neither in HTML, nor in CSS.
>>> It only present new.
> DD> So maintainers have to look in more places to find out what
> applies
> DD> to an element.
>
> What is the "more places" ? Only tag and css. Only css is added.
> This is disadvantage, important to mention !?

Currently, a well written document will have one place to look for
semantics (the HTML document) and one place to look for presentation
(the stylesheet). Your proposal would put semantics in the stylesheet
as well as the markup.

>>> Not 'moves', but 'allows to move'.
>>> Nothing disturb author to write in previous manner.
> DD> Initial authors perhaps, but not maintainers who have to find out
> DD> where the previous author decided to put the information.
>
> Content of elements will remain in .htm,
> proposal does not give possibility of put content into css.

I said "information", not "content". This would include expansions of
acronyms, URIs that are being linked to, and the language the
document is written in (to give a few examples).

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/