Re: Re[19]: css with attribues [hardware]

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:03:11 +0000
To: CSS Style <www-style@w3.org>

On 17 Jan 2008, at 13:18, Dmitry Turin wrote:
> DD> if a user agent doesn't support CSS
> DD> it doesn't matter (since information is not lost).
>   When standard appends new attribute into tag,

A new tag doesn't require any user agents to rewrite their entire
parse engine to mix in data from multiple souce.

>>> User gets benefit (unnecessary to keep separation in brain),

> DD> As mentioned, this is a disadvantage.
> Excuse me, explain, how "unnecessary to keep separation in brain"
> is "disadvantage".

I've already explained how separating presentation from content is an
advantage. Your proposal removes that.

>>> 1) CAS will reduce manual job
>>> ("multiply to quantity of population, than to quantity of
>>> pages on sites - and you will get real number of duplications,
>>> which are quite not little")
> DD> As mentioned, there doesn't appear to be any significant saving on
> DD> the amount of effort authors have to go to.
> Translate me, please, your complex english :)

The reduction you say will be achieved will be so small as to not be

> DD> (b) What about "realtime" UAs?
>>> It is UA, which give results to end of time,
>>> which user can (or want) wait.
>>> E.g. if UA is browers, then result is rendering,
>>> time is equal 1 second;
>>> if UA is electronic storage, then result is filling database,
>>> time depends of destination of this storage
>>> (in any case, it is much more, than 1 second).
> DD> The result is irrelevant to my point. The point is that user
> agents
> DD> (such as Lynx) will no longer be able to simply take the HTML
> DD> document and parse it, outputting the result as they go.
> What is common between definition of my term and
> inability to parse html-file without css-file ?

CSS contains presentation. You can discard the presentation without
losing any meaning. Your proposal moves meaning into an external
file. It cannot be discarded without losing meaning.

David Dorward