W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > January 2008

Re: Re[18]: css with attribues [software]

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:17:16 +0000
Message-Id: <CE2A480C-6F6D-4EBD-867E-CE56B59240F8@dorward.me.uk>
To: CSS Style <www-style@w3.org>

On 17 Jan 2008, at 08:27, Dmitry Turin wrote:
>>> 2) CAS stricturize thinking.
> DD> I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.
>
> Man with structurized thinking devide items into groups,
> really adequate for corrent, concrete task.
> Written language can promote or prevent this type of thinking.
>
> CAS will allow to devide (attributes-properties) into groups
> (unique items, common items), really adequate for
> CORRENT, CONCRETE task (site).

It sounds like this just puts a burden on the author to decide if  
they might reuse an attribute elsewhere. There's is little obvious  
division between non-presentational HTML attributes that are likely  
to be reused (with the same values) across multiple documents on a  
site and those which are not.

> I'm accepting your argument.
> Let attributes in css will be media-specific.
> I'm listen your objections for this variant.

Aside from being unable to think of any (HTML) attributes (which  
aren't presentational and so already have something suitable in CSS)  
that could reasonable change under different media types, I don't  
object to this specific point.

> DD> separation of concerns is a good thing
> +
> DD> It isn't difficult, it lets authors think about one thing at a  
> time
>
> Absolutely agreed !!
>
> DD> "I am writing HTML, therefore I am entering content and  
> describing its
> DD> semantics".
>
> No (and presentation also).

No. Presentation has (mostly) been stripped from HTML, and the few  
remaining bits of presentation are things that best practice  
recommendations say should be avoided.


> DD> "I am writing CSS, therefore I am describing how the
> DD> semantics should be represented to the user".
>
> Yes, but with redundant 'style='.

Authors do not have to use style attributes (and generally should not  
use them).

> DD> CSS expert working on the look while HTML experts work on the  
> content
>
> My signature at the end of each letter is content or look ??!!

It is content.

> Multiple repeated attributes ON CONCRETE SITE are 'look' ONLY,
> independently of how W3's officials specify them.
>
>>> 1) CAS economize human efforts
> DD> Not given the statement you responded to.
> +
> DD> presentation in CSS and semantics in HTML works just
> DD> fine, with little duplication of effort
>
> Please, multiply to quantity of population, than to quantity of
> pages on sites - and you will get real number of duplications,
> which are quite not little.

The vast majority of duplicated content is wholesale blocks of  
content (such as page footers), and they can be inserted with a  
templating language. There doesn't appear to be all much in the way  
of attributes which are consistently duplicated.

-- 
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/
http://blog.dorward.me.uk/
Received on Thursday, 17 January 2008 10:17:53 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 27 April 2009 13:54:57 GMT