Re: Re[14]: css with attribues

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:11:56 +0000
To: CSS Style <www-style@w3.org>

On 16 Jan 2008, at 13:06, Dmitry Turin wrote:
>>> Media must be ignored for attributes in css.
> DD> (a) Very unintuitive and
> DD> (b) Forces clients to download all stylesheets
>
> (a) Other variant is to create cas-file (file with only attributes),
> and to put
> <link href="a.css" type="text/css">
> <link href="a.cas" type="text/cas">

Making this an entirely different language would be a more reasonable
approach. I still fail to see that it would provide any significant
advantage though.

> But man will be still duty to remember,
> what characteristic is for CAS ('attribute' in old terms),
> and what characteristic is for CSS ('property' in old terms).

That's no different from today with presentation being in CSS and
semantics being in HTML (or $x being in $y where $y is a markup
language for expressing $x).

> (b) Users look pages under css, so browser download css-file in
> both cases.
>     Robot will download 1 css-file in addition to 100 html-files
> of each site. What are you economize !!

Looking at the websites that I work on, I don't see a great many
attributes duplicated across pages, so I can't see any significant
savings made.

>>> non-realtime UA can parse after downloading of csas-file.
> DD> That still means they have to built an in memory DOM tree and
> modify
> DD> it based on the stylesheet.
>
> Yes, and what ?

This makes them harder to write, slower, and require more memory and
CPU time - for no significant gain.

>>> 'Browser' in this context means realtime UA
>>> (working in "trigger" mode).
> DD> All user agents need to be supported.
>
> I consider all UAs, but separately realtime and non-realtime UAs.

Your reaction to what you are calling "non-realtime UAs" so far
appears to be "so what?", which doesn't count as "considering" in my
book.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/