Scaling

From: Michael <newsletters@codefisher.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 22:36:29 +1000
To: www-style@w3.org

I have a fluid layout so it changes width because of the browser
window.  There is the slight problem that some of the images I use might
be too wide.  So I use max-width:100% to prevent this from happening.
This works great when the image does not have a width or height
attribute set.  The image remains in proportion.  One site you can see
this working on is http://accessfirefox.org/ (resize your window small
and the first image in the content will change size in any browser the
understands max-width) .  But if the height attribute is set, it retains
this height and the image goes out of proportion (take for example the
image along the top of the content on
http://codefisher.org/format_toolbar/).    I think we need some property
for this; say for example:

img {
 scale:proportional;
}

With maybe the other possible value being auto.  I think this would be a
great use when max-width and max-height become more widely used.

God Bless
Michael